Private Music Lessons
Private Lesson Request Forms must be submitted before the end of the 5-day no-fee Add/Drop period of each semester.
Private lessons in voice, keyboard, band/orchestral instruments, sitar, guitar, electric and upright bass, and drum set are offered every semester for academic credit (0.5 unit, no fee). Approved students receive 13 fifty-minute lessons per semester and a letter grade; a minimum of one hour practice per day is expected and a performance jury at the end of the semester is encouraged.
Credit Lessons—no fee, (MSAP 160-182 and MSAP 260-282), 0.5 unit
Non-credit Lessons (0.0 unit) are no longer offered.
- Private lessons are open and available to all students.
- There is no additional fee for private lessons.
- Weekly 50-minute private lessons begin the second week of classes each semester.
- A placement audition is required for new voice and piano students
- All students who wish to take private lessons (including those currently enrolled) must submit the Private Lesson Request Form.
- All Lesson Request Forms are evaluated for approval by the Music Department.
- Submission of the Private Lesson Request Form does not guarantee approval.
- If approved for private study, the Music Office will notify the student via email and will assign a teacher, after which the student will register for the appropriate MSAP course through Bannerweb. Students arrange their weekly lesson time directly with the instructor after being notified of approval.
Contact Linda Smalley, Music Department Administrative Coordinator, with questions.