Audrey Kindsfather, '15, shares her musical talents with hospital patients as she studies to become a doctor.
Violinist Lillian Hughes and flautist Rachel Lantz participated in the 2016 International Chamber Music Institute, August 6-14, performing in venues throughout Quebec, including churches in Quebec City and Montreal.
Rebecca Quillen, senior clarinetist and double major in music performance and English, received the Bobby Chandler Award for her outstanding contributions to the music department as performer and scholar.
Mike Haliczer, senior trumpet player and business management major with a music minor, received the C. J. Hesch Award for his significant contributions to the jazz program.
Conor Lemmon, senior Artist-Scholar bassoonist and a mathematical economics major with a music minor, received the Roy Jesson Prize for his achievements as a performer.
- Love Fellowship
Joanna Love received the American Association of University Women's American Postdoctoral Fellowship, supporting work on her book, Soda Goes Pop: Pepsi-Cola Advertising and Popular Music, 1939–2012.
- Kordzaia Concerts
Alexander Kordzaia performed for the second time at Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall, conducting the American Youth Harp Ensemble and Virginia Choristers.
- eighth blackbird awards
Ensemble-in-residence eighth blackbird won their fourth Grammy, receiving the Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance award for their album “Filament.” The group also received a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions from the MacArthur Foundation.
- Love Article
Music professor Joanna Love's article, "Political Pop and Commercials that Flopped: Early Lessons from the 2016 Presidential Race," analyzes the use of pop music in the early stages of the 2016 campaign season.
- Davison Writes about Jazz Diplomacy
Dr. Mike Davison penned an op-ed on jazz diplomacy with Cuba for Fox News.
- Fairtile Award
Dr. Linda Fairtile received the The Richard S. Hill award from the Music Library Association, for her essay "Verdi at 200: Recent Scholarship on the Composer and His Works."
- Broening Fellowship
Dr. Benjamin Broening is the recipient of a 2014 Howard Foundation Fellowship.
- Love Conference Presentation
Dr. Joanna Love was a featured panelist at the Experience Music Project Pop Conference, where she read her paper “Decades in Motion: Dancing and Driving My Toyota Corolla.”
- Cable Book Chapter
Dr. Jennifer Cable published “After the Italian Manner: The English Cantata 1700-1710,” in The Lively Arts of the London Stage, 1675-1725 (Performance in the Long Eighteenth Century: Studies in Theatre, Music, Dance).
- Guest Harpsichordist
Dr. Joanne Kong served as guest harpsichordist at the 2014 Winter Park Bach Festival performing in J. S. Bach's St. John Passion, Haydn's The Creation, Baroque orchestral and choral works, and C. P. E. Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D minor.
- Richard Becker, pianoFeb053:00 PMRichard Becker performs music by Chopin and French Impressionist composers, as well as some of his own works.
- Mike Davison + The Latin Jazz MessengersFeb123:00 PMIn May 2016, the Latin Jazz Messengers performed in Santiago, Cuba. The group, including musicians from the University... Continue reading
- Global Music Series: Feedel Trio (Ethiopia)Feb157:30 PM - 9:00 PMThe Global Music Series brings musicians, dancers, and other artists from all corners of the world directly to Richmond... Continue reading
- Neumann Lecture On MusicFeb207:30 PMDeborah Wong is an ethnomusicologist who holds an M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, where she worked with... Continue reading
- Duo Piano RecitalMar193:00 PMDoris Wylee-Becker and Richard Becker will perform duo and solo piano music from Viennese Classic, Romantic, and... Continue reading
- Ronald Crutcher, cello + Joanne Kong, pianoMar227:30 PMUniversity of Richmond President Ronald A. Crutcher presents his first recital at the Modlin Center, performing... Continue reading
- UR Wind EnsembleMar277:30 PMThe Wind Ensemble’s spring concert features student soloists performing classic and modern repertoire with the... Continue reading
- Global Sounds ConcertApr023:00 PMCelebrate traditional music and dance from around the world with this free, family-friendly concert featuring Japanese,... Continue reading
- Bruce Stevens, organApr037:30 PMFaculty artist Bruce Stevens performs solo organ works composed for the Mass by German, French, and Italian master... Continue reading
- UR Symphony OrchestraApr057:30 PMThe University of Richmond Symphony Orchestra presents the world premiere of Virginia composer Allen Wittig’s new... Continue reading
Music Feature Stories
Fresh off winning a fourth Grammy in February, eighth blackbird, UR’s ensemble-in-residence, received a MacArthur grant. In early May, they stopped by NPR for a Tiny Desk Concert.